Saturday, June 27, 2015

YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT THIS RICH MAN SAID

LET THE SPIRIT OF HIS COMMENT GO FORTH TO EVERY RICH PERSON IN THE WORLD

But first---some background:  He lives in the Santa Fe area at the end of this dead end road

In this fine adobe house he built himself.

powered completely by this array of solar panels he installed himself.

I visit every year or so---we've been friends for 40 years.

He has many of the toys that rich people have:  A hot tub---

A Sauna he built,

a cool shaded portico

An electric car he built into an old Mazda

A woodworking shop to dream about.


grows vegetables in raised containers.
(Uses 90% less water than ground crops)

makes compost.  Two barrels needed---one is filling , the other is "cooking".


A hammock for relaxing

A full scale country kitchen.

Stairs to his private quarters

And here's the man himself in his great room.  He built all his furniture,
Installed all those giant ceiling vigas.
My friend was not always rich.  When we were in New Orleans together, he was the poorest in our circle of friends.  A modest inheritance of a few thousand was all the luck he needed.  Frugal living, good investments coupled with building and maintenance skills made him a rich man. You would not know it by his modest lifestyle---He is content with simple pleasures---reads, cultivates, builds,  philosophizes.  He took me to a meeting with his philosophy group.  I had the pleasure of engaging  a 96 year old philosopher---can you believe it---having a keen mind at that age. I asked what these guys had in common.  The answer:  They are all Unitarians.  My people.

RANDY PHILOSOPHIZES: Now I will tell you what the rich man said that I hope will resonate around the world.  We were about to enter a theater--I was getting my money out.  He stopped me and said: Randy, "when my money has eroded down to about your level, I will let you pay your way----but until then---whatever we do together--I want to pay for."  And he did ---and he has---and I will allow it.  
DO YOU AGREE SWEET PEOPLE??   GREAT WEALTH SHOULD EVOKE GREAT GENEROSITY.  
I have resolved to pay his generosity forward--for often I relate with folks far poorer than I am.
And I will make that same speech to them--and pay their way.
I SAY TO ALL MY READERS----BE SENSITIVE TO THE WEALTH GAP WHEN YOU SOCIALIZE WITH YOUR FRIENDS. Take opportunities to awaken the generous you. 


ONE MORE THING my rich friend told me:  "I'm a loner--easily irritated by intrusions on my privacy----you are that rare guest that somehow manages not to irritate me or disrupt my lifestyle."
AAAAH  THAT MAKES ME SMILE.  How do I do it?  Glad you asked:











11 comments:

Sondra said...

I like his philosophy on how to love a daily life and I think sharing when you have more is a necessity this way everyone gets a piece of the pie. We all should do more sharing.

Anonymous said...

Randy, I much enjoyed this post of yours and all the pics too! Beautiful place! I had to go and look up Unitarian. I've heard you mention it before, but didn't really know anything about it. Very interesting! Having been raised a strict southern Baptist, it is only in my later years that I began to question what I had been taught. In fact, when people ask me, I tell them I'm agnostic. I feel a strong connection with mother nature, and I am spiritual, and a good person. I agree with sharing what you have, being kind, giving hugs, and generally loving mother earth and all her creatures...humans included. I hope to meet you some day. Linda in Kentucky

ron said...

I have found that poorer people are more ready and willing to share with those that are even more needy.
The last year I have been poorer (less monthly income and and extra person and dog to support) than ever in my life, Still I find myself more ready and willing to give a few bucks to those in need at street corners than I ever did before.
A "street person" once told me that he does much better in the parking lots of the "dollar" stores that near the "high end" stores.
I suppose I'm just an old hippy and I do believe (in many ways) I am my brother's keeper. Glad I have a bit extra to help.

Anonymous said...

In the desert, where does he get his water from ?

Randy said...

From a slow well---producing 2 gallons a minute---it is enough---he stores 200 gallons ready for use.

Al Christensen said...

True wealth isn't measured by how much you can acquire, but by how much you can afford to give away.

Mary Matzek said...

Loved this blog and catching up with some older ones. Been busy and gone. But, I think I want to be a couch surfer.

Mary

Gayle Maria said...

I have met so many people over the years that live by a slightly different version of Al Christensen's post. They believe true wealth isn't measured by how much you can acquire, but by how much you can get other people to pay for.

mraymus said...

Hey Randy. I just started a new blog, about a month ago, called TentTrailerTravel.com. I hope you'll take a look and subscribe. I love what you're doing and I've subscribed to your blog!

Matt

Unknown said...

http://hithazaramusic.com/

Paula Bruno said...

I grew up with Unitarians! Great people! they were few and far between in Texas so eventually the fellowship my mother and other Unitarians founded, went by the way side.The best thing about most Unitarians is that they are willing to listen and discuss anything and everything without getting pissed off and out of control. Some of the discussions were quite lively though. Always lots of fun to sit in and just listen and learn. Just found your blog recently. Very much enjoying it!