Wednesday, February 28, 2018

SLAB PEOPLE ON PARADE

EACH YEAR THE NEARBY TOWN OF NILAND CA DOES A PARADE CELEBRATING TOMATOES.  The Slab people are invited to participate.  Are you surprised that this most primitive city in the US could pull together a few entrants?
It begins with the usual military presence.

Here's an art car entered by the community centered around Salvation Mountain--the most striking feature at the Slabs.
Here's a group that celebrates the fact that dogs can roam free at the Slabs.
And they brought along a few to march with them.
A whopper of a float built by the  Slab community called EAST JESUS.  It's self powered and has a lively band playing.


An art car entered by an art group at the Slabs.


A terrific band assembled by the famous RANGE THEATER GROUP.

a patriotic slabber, proud of his country, his girl and his new motorcycle..

That's a tomato on top of that car.

And tomatoes dot this entry from the OASIS CLUB, probably the liveliest club at the Slabs.


?

This beautiful  lady was a visitor at the Slabs that amazed me.  She bought and built a home in that van and wanders the world alone writing stories. I think she calls herself NOMIE (know me) writes a blog or does a youtube thing. Someone tell me.

RANDY PHILOSOPHIZES:  I HOPE YOU ARE IMPRESSED that a rag tag community that does not have electricity or running water or mail service has enough spirit to PLAY THE GAME--TO PARTICIPATE.  In my next post I will say more about the various aggragates of people--clubs that have arisen at the Slabs.  I think there is something important to be learned.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, amazing group of people !

kaBLOOnie Boonster said...

Why are people "amazing" because of a modicum of (amateurish) artsie/craftsie talent?

Why are they "amazing" because of some ostentatious quirkiness? That isn't anything great -- in fact, it is mostly just negative. 'Let me break every rule of conventional behavior, and con people into thinking I am brilliantly creative.'

The ostentatious quirkiness they parade is just a substitute for any real, solid accomplishments in life.

On the other hand, now that I know that dogs can roam free at the Slabs, I am thinking of becoming a Slabs fan!

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

A different and fun parade:)