Wednesday, May 30, 2012

TRIBE GATHERS ON A MOUNTAINTOP

BOLD EXPERIMENT GAINS MOMENTUM
Standing at cliff's edge are 4 of my companions-- strong personalities----often solitary travelers who have agreed to connect in spirit and in person to wander the West this summer as a tribe----connecting here and there---blending our being/ideas/intents for the joy of it and to see if we can learn/create something new/useful. More on this later.

Our pathfinder/Scout Boonie has wowed us again ---leading us to the mountaintop---8,200 ft elevation---where we each settle into a spot that suits us---as close to or as far from others as we choose. 

Lynn chooses the cliffs edge for a 40 mile view. 

Boonie --a hardcore boondocker---settles back a ways to avoid stiff winds.

Peg's rig is a marvel of intelligent design--drafted by herself---and executed by the Nation's foremost
custom interior wizards at www.Sportsmobile.com  . Boonie and I  were very impressed.

I situate myself in a small clearing facing west---for lots of good reasons---(satellite and solar reception etc)  

Laurie is also particular about where she parks her marvelous "Casbah".
Wanna see inside?
Laurie is not camera shy or afraid of heights.  Here helping me show you our view and the terrible forest fire raging in the distance---yes. it's the one you've been hearing about.  The smoke from which will likely trouble Albuquerque and Denver.  I just stepped outside (it's now 12:20 mst) to look at the fiery inferno lighting up the night.

Peg, (second from right) this afternoon,  initiated a tradition---a BYOF---bring your own food--and let's eat together.---A great success we agreed because we all have distinct food preferences--and find pot lucks troublesome and unsatisfying.

RANDY PHILOSOPHIZES: It's delightful to be here enjoying the cool forest with such bright and amiable people.  I will remind my readers of my personal vision for this experiment:
1. TO DISCOVER NEW POSSIBILITIES FOR FRIENDSHIP CLUSTERS . (How other personalities can inspire, inform, comfort, amuse)
2. TO EXPERIENCE THE AMAZING POWER OF ALLIGNED INTENTIONS.
3. TO SET IN MOTION AN ORGANIZATION THAT INVENTS ITSELF--THAT EVOLVES--LEARNS TO REPLICATE ITSELF.
4. TO RELATE IN WAYS THAT ALLOW EACH OF US TO SEE OURSELVES MORE CLEARLY---APPRECIATE OURSELVES AND EXPRESS OUR TALENTS.
5. TO BE A SOURCE OF KINDNESS AND ACCOUNTABILITY.
6. TO ENJOY THE EXTRAVAGANT BONUS OF HUMAN ASSOCIATION. (one unit of giving to the group can result in many units of getting---e.g. build a fire or locate a campsite or solve a problem)
7. TO GRADUALLY BUILD A FUN NEW RV CULTURE OF IMAGINATIVE TRADITIONS, DEVOID OF "PECKING", THAT SATISFIES OUR TWIN NEEDS OF SOLITUDE AND SOCIETY.

Finally, I want to invite you to visit us as we make our way around NM.  And if you are self sustainedly mobile and think you could contribute to--enjoy---benefit from this group---come and find your place in this bold experiment. (write me personally:  randythepoet@yahoo.com and I will tell you where we are) (We plan to expand our numbers until--we feel we have reached a functional optimum)  We expect people to come and go---hopefully maintaining a critical mass core. 








13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Randy,
Thanks so much for all of the great photos showing the setting you are all in. Looks like you have a good group. Why didn't we ever do the BYOF? I suppose it was always dark by then in the wintertime and not many campfires in the desert. I'm glad you all have found this great summertime activity to share conversation and meals.

Anonymous said...

Well yeah, I wanna see inside Laurie's home! I wanna see inside all of your tribe's homes. Gives me idea's on how to set up my own. Love the pictures and the concept of bring your own food. Linda from Ky.

Randy said...

Kathy: (We miss you) Re: BYOF--It took Peg's coming to contribute this bit of tradition.

Annymous: Laurie is preparing a video link.

Sondra said...

I def like the bring your own food idea...since Im Vegan, and its never an issue for me, but others enjoy making a big deal out of it sometimes.
I would very much enjoy seeing the inside of the van,
I just saw the fire on the news...terrible!!

Randy said...

Sondra: The food choices of full time RVers should be studied sometimes--we are all so different. Lynn is vegan--I rarely eat meals--just knick knack all day. Laurie has a sweet tooth---an honest to god candy store in her rig. (you'll see when she gets the film made)
Re: Peg's van---she's working on a reveal---Is very proud of her design.

Glenn said...

Wow! You're really over thinking the reasons to get together. How about, we really like each other and want to get together once and awhile to keep the friendship alive.

Being an old guy I like to keep it simple.

Enjoy,
Glenn

Teri said...

Great idea - BYOF. I have become very particular about what I eat, and don't have stuff in my RV that I could contribute to a pot luck.

Anonymous said...

A very nice post Randy!

Jim said...

==========
I've always thought the Hooterites (sp?) are onto something. Based on decades of real-life experience, they've learned their communities reach "critical mass" at some point and aren't as functional. When the girls finally marry (very l-o-n-g courtships -- seven years is not unusual -- they only get one shot!), they move to their husband's commune. When this causes there to be too many families (usually only one too many), ALL the families (every one!) pack up everything and prepare to move. They're all lined up and ready to roll. Then they pull straws to see who goes . . . shortest straw has to roll away. Everyone else moves back in and normal (for them) life resumes.
==========
In your group's case, everyone is already packed and ready to roll on short notice; simplifies the process.
==========
sail4free
==========

Jeff said...

There may be new mexico's biggest wildfire in the valley,but up above, something's glowing far brighter.

Gayle Maria said...

Love Tribal RV plan. Does this plan allow for group share AND solitude? Ask anyone who worked in an office and dealt with cliques that groups usually all or nothing. Anyone wanting solitude is shunned.

Love the BYOF idea. Thought I was the only one changing my diet choices. Seen Knives Over Forks, Food Inc. etc. Now organic, transitioning to vegetarian. Start this and there's no turning back. I can't AFFORD to cook an organic vegan casserole for 12! We'd be glad to have that pressure off and not be regarded as unfriendly. You are onto something! Can't wait to see Laurie's Candyland Van!!! Good job all!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Laurie for the video tour. It was great! I also enjoyed your shower innovation. Very cool. Now I'm wondering about the potti situation. Just guessing it's porta.

Theresa said...

Sounds awesome. I think you will all find the experience to be really rewarding. I love the tribe idea. Since everyone has different perspectives and skills to bring to the table. The one thing is that van dwellers are often people who like being on their own. So I can imagine if you had all the individual spaces and then a group camp hangout area that would work well.