1. I WRESTLED A BEAR---Just briefly at a side show tent. I was 12--the bear was small and muzzled and padded. I paid the fee and for 30 seconds I enjoyed a tussle.
2. I ATE POSSUM. I watched my Grandfather climb a tree, grab the creature--come down with its jaws locked on his shoulder. What happened next was the wonder: My grandfather began gently stroking it---and it let go. We put it in a bag took it home, cooked and ate it. (Wouldn't do it now--seemed ok then)
3. I PLOWED WITH A MULE---My uncle had me do it--he was trying to qualify for some government program and couldn't afford a tractor. It was fascinating for awhile---got old fast--was hard to do. The mule was hard to control. Did it three days---I was about 12.
4. RAISED WITHOUT INDOOR PLUMBING MY FIRST 6 YEARS. Remember vividly using sears catalog for toilet paper.
5. CARED FOR BY A BLACK NANNY. My mother had 4 children in 6 years. Me being the youngest was left in the care of a black nanny--that I remember with great affection. Here's my tribute in rhyme: